Frequently asked questions

You can find answers to our most frequently asked questions by searching on a keyword or category on the right.

Alternatively, why not ask our virtual assistant.

You asked:

Problem with a neighbour's barking dog


If you are concerned about a neighbour’s dog barking, remember that many owners are not aware that their dog barks when they are out. If possible, tell the neighbour so that they are aware and can seek advice.

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, a barking dog can be a noise nuisance and result in prosecution. An owner can be taken to court by their local authority if they do nothing to stop the barking. If a neighbour’s dog is barking constantly and the owner does nothing to prevent this happening, we recommend that you report it to your local authority noise control service (usually part of the environmental health department). You should be able to find their telephone number in your local telephone directory.

If you are concerned about a dog’s welfare, for example if it isn't being provided with water, food or shelter, or it appears to be in poor condition, please contact the RSPCA 24-hour cruelty and advice line 0300 1234 999. The RSPCA will only investigate a dog barking if its welfare is being compromised and its needs are not being met.


Virtual Assistant


Search our FAQs

You can also use the category search below, or combine it with a keyword search for more accurate results.