Other pets in summer
If you look after some more unusual pets, their needs may be different and perhaps more complicated.
Overheating is hot weather is highly dangerous for many animals and so keeping your pets cool and comfortable is extremely important during summer. Here are our key tips for keeping your pets happy and healthy when the weather heats up.
Fish, amphibians and reptiles
- Keep fish tanks and reptile or amphibian enclosures out of direct sunlight and carry out water changes regularly, to prevent overheating.
- Top up the water levels of ponds and make sure pond fish have access to shaded areas created by aquatic plants.
- Check temperature levels inside enclosures regularly to ensure they are at the correct temperature gradient for the species.
- Keep indoor captive birds out of direct sunlight and ensure aviary birds have shaded areas. All birds need access to clean fresh water, both for drinking and bathing.
- Birds such as parrots often enjoy being gently misted with cool water, to cool off and maintain feather condition.