Fundraising tips for success
If you’ve already decided what you’re going to do to raise money for us, you can now set yourself a fundraising target and have a plan to achieve it.
Aim high as this will motivate you and encourage people to sponsor you. Remember, if any of your event costs come from the money you raise, by law you must tell your sponsors.
First things first, plan your event
- Start early - give yourself a head start to avoid stress and enjoy preparing for your event.
- Ask for sponsorship by setting up an online fundraising page and use the sponsorship form provided in your fundraising pack.
- Don’t forget Gift Aid – Remind your sponsors to tick the Gift Aid box so you can raise around 25 per cent more. Learn more about how Gift Aid works.
- Ask your employer if they’d sponsor you the same amount as your final fundraising total.
How to publicise your event
- Word of mouth - Ask friends and family to sponsor you and ask them to share your story, challenge or unique fundraising idea with their peers.
- Share your story – People want to know what you’re doing, why you’re doing it and how their donation will help. Publicise your story on social media!
- Promote your event at work – Tell your colleagues in staff newsletters, emails and on notice boards.
- We’ll send you free fundraising materials in your own fundraising pack.
- Local media - Contact newspapers, radio and television stations. Download a media form to tell your story (PDF 32KB).
Get social media savvy
Use the web to help your story and your online fundraising page reach far places.
- Set up a group or create an event on Facebook. Invite all your friends and remember to add a link to your online fundraising page.
- Post a series of tweets, Facebook statuses or Instagram photos to keep people up to date with your fundraising.
- Post lots of photos and videos of your event preparation. You could even find some pictures of the animals their money will be helping!