Company for chickens kept as pets
How many chickens to keep?
- We recommend that people keep at least three hens (female chickens) which get on well together.
- Cockerels (male chickens) should not be kept together, unless they have grown up together and get on well.
- No method of restricting movement or access to facilities must be employed in order to prevent the natural noise of cockerels crowing.
Introducing new chickens to the flock
- Mixing of chickens that are unfamiliar with each other should be done carefully.
- Mixing birds with very different body sizes should be avoided, as this can result in bullying.