Pet chickens diet
- Chickens need constant access to clean and fresh water in the chicken house.
- Drinkers should be cleaned regularly.
- Chickens must be able to access water in icy weather (ice should not be removed using chemicals).
- Drinkers should prevent young chicks climbing in and drowning.
- If drinkers are changed, the chickens should still be provided with some of the type that they are familiar with.
- Feed, suitable for their age and breed, should be provided in the chicken house to give them a balanced diet.
- Food dispensers should be cleaned regularly.
- Chickens need insoluble grit to help digestion (e.g. hard flint grit). Oyster shell is a soluble grit which can provide extra calcium in the diet.