#EndNonStun by signing our open letter
We, together with the British Veterinary Association (BVA) have written to the Defra Minister, Michael Gove MP calling for urgent action to end non-stun slaughter in England.
Farm animals are sentient beings – they have the capacity to suffer and feel pain. This must be taken into account throughout their life, including at the time of slaughter.
We call on the UK Government to change the law that currently permits the unnecessary suffering of animals at the time of killing, and in turn require all animals to be effectively stunned before slaughter.
All animals should be stunned before slaughter. No exceptions.
Whilst this practice continues and until such a ban is enforced, we call on the UK Government:
- Require an immediate post-cut stun for cattle, sheep, goats and deer
- Ensure supply meets demand
- End the export of meat from non-stun slaughter
- Regularly release slaughter number figures
- Introduce method of slaughter food labelling.