So you want to be a horse fosterer?
Fantastic! We're thrilled you'd like to become an equine foster carer and help in giving rescue horses and ponies a stable future.
If you've seen a horse or pony you'd like to foster in our horse search, we'll check their suitability for you if your application is successful.
How to apply
Firstly, you need to read our equine fostering criteria below to make sure you're eligible to apply.
Fostering criteria for horses and ponies
- You are a horse owner or have experience of owning equines.
- You are willing to either foster a horse or pony as companionship for your own equine. Or willing to foster two of them as company for each other.
- You have the time, means and facilities to care for equines, including grazing.
- You are prepared to foster a horse or pony for a minimum of six months until we can find a permanent home.
- You will have the opportunity to adopt the horse should you wish to do so.
- As an equine fosterer, you are responsible for day-to-day expenses, routine worming, and all farrier costs.
- Veterinary costs are covered by the RSPCA but you must receive our consent before any treatment is given, except in an emergency where the equine is given first aid.
- Other important information
Prior to fostering, all equines have a full worming history from the RSPCA and are vaccinated against tetanus, passported and microchipped. Colts are also gelded.
Horses being fostered are covered by the RSPCA for 3rd party insurance and routine tetanus vaccinations.
If you're happy with our fostering criteria, you're ready to make your application.
- Complete our online application form.