Found a lost dog
We have practical advice on what to do if you find a lost or stray dog. Remember the dog may not be a stray at all but a dog that has wandered away from their owner.
How to help a stray dogAs a charity with limited resources, we can't respond to calls about healthy stray dogs.
Follow these steps instead to help reunite the dog with their owner
- Check to see if the dog is wearing a collar or tag withe th contact details of the owner. Only approach if calm.
- Stay clear if the dog’s displaying aggressive behaviour and contact the local dog warden.
- Report the stray dog to the council. All local authorities provide a dog warden service.
- Contact the local vet to scan for a microchip as by law all dogs should be microchipped.
- Contact local animal rescue centres and report the found dog.
- Report the found dog on Animal Search UK, exclusively used by our inspectors.
- Use social media to check local groups and announce that you’ve found a dog. Spread the word locally.
Rehoming stray dogsYou may decide to take the dog home while you wait for the warden to arrive - a lost dog may be scared and distressed.
Remember it’s illegal to keep a stray dog but if you want to rehome the dog, leave your details with the warden.
Found an injured or stray dogIf you believe a dog is sick, injured please contact your local vet or animal centre.
If the dog is in imminent danger or in a dangerous location contact emergency services. Never put yourself in danger.