Facts and figures
- On average every 30 seconds someone in England and Wales dials 0300 1234 999 - our 24-hour cruelty line - for help. In 2017 we received 1,037,435 phone calls.
- We have approximately 340 RSPCA Inspectors, 50 animal welfare officers (AWOs) and 88 animal collection officers (ACOs) working to prevent cruelty and promote kindness to animals in England and Wales. Read more about our frontline staff and what we do.
- Our inspectors now investigate more than 149,000 complaints of cruelty and neglect every year.
- In 2007, the Animal Welfare Act became law in England, shortly after it was implemented in Wales. Described as the single most important piece of animal welfare legislation for nearly 100 years, the Act places a legal obligation on owners and keepers of animals to care for them properly.
- We have a network of 162 RSPCA branches around England and Wales, and we work with many animal welfare organisations abroad through our international team.
- Our four RSPCA animal hospitals and five clinics treat pets in need of preventative medicine or welfare treatments belonging to members of the public who can’t afford private veterinary fees. We also have 39 clinics and 3 mobile clinics run by our branches.
- Our 17 regional animal centres across England and Wales help people adopt pets and rehome more animals than any other organisation. We also have 42 animal centres run by our branches.
- We have four specialist RSPCA wildlife centres in England.
- We also work to improve the lives of millions of farm, laboratory and wild animals. More than 900 million farm animals are reared every year in the UK. Around 4 million scientific procedures are carried out using animals in research establishments in the UK each year.
Our 2017 stats
In 2017 we:
- rescued and collected 114,584 animals
- found new homes for more than 44,611 animals
- microchipped, neutered and treated 222,664 animals
- took in 18,659 animals to our wildlife centres
- investigated 141,760 cruelty complaints
- secured 1,492 convictions by private prosecution to protect animals against those who break the laws
2018 stats will be released in the coming months.
The UK pet population in 2018* is estimated at:
- 9.0 million dogs
- 8.0 million cats
In the UK, it's estimated that 12 million (44 percent of) households have pets* with around 51 million pets owned.
*Latest available estimated figures from the Pet Food Manufacturers' Association (PFMA).
- Our mission is to, by all lawful means, prevent cruelty, promote kindness to and alleviate suffering of animals.
- We were established in 1824 as the SPCA - Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Royal patronage followed in 1837 and Queen Victoria gave permission to add the royal R in 1840, making us the RSPCA as we're known worldwide today. Find out more about our history.
- The RSPCA is a registered charity in England and Wales and only exists because of public donations.
- Our patron is Her Majesty the Queen. Read more about our patrons, vice-presidents and celebrity supporters.