Facts and figures
- On average every 30 seconds someone in England and Wales dials 0300 1234 999 for help. In 2019 we received 1,218,364 phone calls.
- We have frontline officers - including 273 RSPCA Inspectors and 90 Animal Rescue Officers (AROs) working to prevent cruelty and promote kindness to animals in England and Wales. Read more about our frontline staff and what we do.
- Our inspectors now investigate more than 185,957 incidents every year.
- We have a network of 152 RSPCA branches around England and Wales, and we work with many animal welfare organisations abroad through our international team.
- Our four RSPCA animal hospitals and five clinics treat pets in need of preventative medicine or welfare treatments belonging to members of the public who can't afford private veterinary fees. We also have 39 clinics and 3 mobile clinics run by our branches.
- Our 14 regional animal centres across England and Wales help people adopt pets and rehome more animals than any other organisation. We also have 42 animal centres run by our branches.
- We have four specialist RSPCA wildlife centres in England.
- We also work to improve the lives of millions of farm, laboratory and wild animals. More than 900 million farm animals are reared every year in the UK. Around 4 million scientific procedures are carried out using animals in research establishments in the UK each year.
Our 2019 stats
In 2019 we:
- our centres took in 10,564 dogs
- we had 786 horses in our care at the end of 2019
- our centres took in 29,432 cats to our centres
- found new homes for 39,178 animals
- carried out 218,939 microchippings, neuterings and treatments
- took in over 17,500 animals to our wildlife centres
- investigated more than 93,362 complaints of alleged cruelty
- secured 1,425 convictions by private prosecution to protect animals against those who break the laws
The UK pet population in 2018* is estimated at:
- 9.0 million dogs
- 8.0 million cats
In the UK, it's estimated that 12 million (44 percent of) households have pets* with around 51 million pets owned.
*Latest available estimated figures from the Pet Food Manufacturers' Association (PFMA).
- Our mission is to, by all lawful means, prevent cruelty, promote kindness to and alleviate suffering of animals.
- We were established in 1824 as the SPCA - Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Royal patronage followed in 1837 and Queen Victoria gave permission to add the royal R in 1840, making us the RSPCA as we're known worldwide today. Find out more about our history.
- The RSPCA is a registered charity in England and Wales and only exists because of public donations.
- Our patron is Her Majesty the Queen. Read more about our patrons, vice-presidents and celebrity supporters.