Reviewing our prosecutions work
In December 2013 we commissioned an independent review of our prosecutions work.
The report concluded that we should continue our role as a prosecuting body. However, the report has recommended a re-positioning of our long-standing enforcement role to bring it up to date with 21st century expectations of transparency and accountability.
The review acknowledges the 'substantial and important' role undertaken by us in enforcing animal welfare legislation in England and Wales and its 'huge contribution to animal welfare.'
We've welcomed the report and have taken steps to assess and respond to the recommendations (PDF 328 MB). The latest of these steps is to introduce a prosecutions oversight panel.
Prosecutions oversight panel
The independent prosecution oversight panel serves in an expert advisory capacity and provides independent expert advice on our prosecutions.
Read more about the purpose and responsibilities of the independent prosecution oversight panel (PDF 50KB)
Summary of findings from the panel
- Summary of the oversight panel report - December 2019 (PDF 53KB)
- Summary of the oversight panel report - May 2019 (PDF 62KB)
- Summary of the oversight panel report - February 2018 (PDF 104KB)
- Summary of the oversight panel report - September 2017 (PDF 76KB)
- Summary of the oversight panel report - June 2017 (PDF 194KB)
- Summary of the oversight panel report - February 2017 (PDF 199KB)