RSPCA Shop Next Gen Education
Colour mode

Worried about a farm animal?

Here's who to contact if you're worried about a farm animal you've seen.

Inspector checking on a trapped cow


If you think a crime has taken place - e.g. sheep worrying, livestock theft or fox hunting - you should report it to the police online or by calling 101 if it's not an emergency. 

Gather as much information as you can before making your report, including:

  • Name of the farm, if you know it, and ideally the exact location (you can use the what3words app to get this)
  • The date and time of the incident
  • Details of the incident and the animals involved, with photos or video if possible
  • The names of the individuals involved, if you know them

Transport, slaughter and non-welfare issues


If you have general concerns about the way farm animals are being transported, or treated at a livestock market, please contact your local authority or Trading Standards


If you're worried about farm animals at a slaughter plant, or about the illegal killing of farm animals outside a slaughter plant, please contact the Food Standards Agency, the police or local authorities.

Non-welfare issues

If you have a farm animal enquiry and it's not an animal welfare issue - for example carcass disposal or a suspected notifiable disease - please contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

When to contact us

Sick or injured animals

The Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) is responsible for safeguarding the welfare of animals on commercial farms. You can contact them on:

  • England: 03000 200 301 /
  • Wales: 0300 303 8268 /

Before you contact APHA, gather some key information first:

  • The name of the farm and precise location (the app what3words can help)
  • Details of your concerns and the animals involved
  • Photos or video showing your concerns
  • The names of anyone involved, if available

If the farm is a member of the RSPCA Assured certification scheme, you can call on 01403 286 170 or email Please do this as quickly as possible so we can investigate.

When transport might cause suffering or injury

If you think animals are being transported in a way that might cause suffering or injury, including harsh braking or turning, please contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA).

Farm animals in cold weather

Some farm animals, such as the hardier sheep and cattle breeds, are able to cope with cold or wet conditions and don't need our help.

You should contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) about:

  • Farm animals with no access to a well-drained lying area
  • Farm animals with no access to any form of shelter, such as a natural hedge
  • Sheep that have just been shorn being kept outside during winter weather

Farm animals in hot weather

Please get in touch with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) if you see animals in hot weather that:

  • Don't have access to clean water
  • Don't have access to shade
  • Appear to be suffering from heat stress

Farm animals as entertainment

Please contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) if you see farm animals being used for entertainment in a way that may unnecessarily impact their welfare, such as the racing or riding of farm animals like pigs and sheep.

Find out more