Frequently asked questions

You can find answers to our most frequently asked questions by searching on a keyword or category on the right.

Alternatively, why not ask our virtual assistant.

You asked:

Concern about vets bills


If your pet becomes ill or is injured, you must take it to a vet urgently. It is a criminal offence to knowingly deny an animal veterinary treatment and cause it to suffer unnecessarily.

RSPCA headquarters does not provide individual financial assistance with veterinary fees. Our branches, which do assist with veterinary costs, are run independently by locally elected committees of trustees. Where their funds allow, many of them help animal owners in receipt of a low income state benefit. This is either via one of their clinics or through using a voucher at a local private vets.

To find out if your local branch is able to help you, please visit the ‘in your area’ section of our website and select ‘veterinary financial aid’ under ‘service’.

The following organisations also help some owners on low income state benefit with the cost of neutering:

Cats Protection, Tel: 0300 012 1212

Dogs Trust, Tel: 020 7837 0006

If you have a problem with paying for treatment, some vets may allow you to pay in instalments to spread the cost. Read our information on how to find a vet.

You may wish to consider taking out a pet insurance policy for a few pounds a month.  This will cover unexpected vets’ bills in the future and safeguard your pet's health. We recommend pet insurance as essential for responsible pet ownership. Visit the RSPCA pet insurance website for more information and a quote, or call 0800 316 8054.  RSPCA pet insurance is provided by MORE TH>N Insurance.  


Virtual Assistant


Search our FAQs

You can also use the category search below, or combine it with a keyword search for more accurate results.