Hillingdon, Slough, Windsor, Kingston & District Branch

Gift Aid - FAQ's

Under Gift Aid, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will usually top up every £1 given to the RSPCA Hillingdon, Slough, Windsor, Kingston & District Branch by 25p. Below are some frequently asked questions around Gift Aid.

Gift Aid FAQs 

Q. What is Gift Aid? 

A. Gift Aid is a government scheme that helps your support go further. If you're a UK taxpayer and opt-in to Gift Aid, the Branch can claim an extra 25p for every £1 donated, at no extra cost to you. That's as long as you've paid the basic rate of tax and make the donation from your own funds. That means Gift Aid can increase the value of your donations by 25%, making your donations go further for the causes you care about. 

Q. How does Gift Aid help the Branch do more for animals? 

A. Gift Aid helps us do more vital and life saving animal care, treatment and purchase equipment for the clinic and rehoming centre. With this extra support, we can also help push for welfare reform, improving standards of care for all animals.

Q. How is Gift Aid calculated?

A.The Branch can claim Gift Aid when you make a monetary donation from your own funds and have paid UK Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax during that tax year. To qualify for Gift Aid, the amount of tax you pay needs to be at least equal to the value of Gift Aid the Branch will claim on your donation(s). If circumstances change and you no longer pay enough tax, it's important to tell all the charities you support. If you don't tell them and they continue claiming Gift Aid, you'll need to pay any difference back to HMRC. 

Q. I'm a pensioner, can I still tick the box for Gift Aid?

A. You are eligible for Gift Aid if you have paid enough tax this year to cover the amount we are reclaiming on your donations. Income from state pensions alone is unlikely to meet this threshold, but if you are still paying tax on a private pension plan, savings account, or capital gains this may mean you still qualify for Gift Aid.

Q. How can I make sure I've paid enough tax to use Gift Aid?

A.You can use Gift Aid if the amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax you've paid in any tax year (from 6 April one year to 5 April the next) covers the amount of tax we will reclaim on your donations. For advice on how to check if you've paid enough tax to use Gift aid, please visit the HMRC website.

Q. Will I have to pay anything extra? 

A. No. We claim Gift Aid from the tax you have already paid, so there are no hidden charges to you. But it is important to be aware that if you pay less income Tax or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in that tax year, then it is your responsibility to pay any difference. Ticking the box for Gift Aid does not change your tax status.

Q. What If I'm a higher rate taxpayer?

A.If you pay a higher rate tax, you can also claim the difference between the higher rate of tax (40%) and the basic rate (20%) on the total (gross) value of your donation. For more information on claiming back higher rate tax please visit the HMRC website.

Q. What if I've already signed up for Gift Aid for another charity?

A. That's absolutely fine. You can Gift Aid your donations to multiple charities, as long as you pay enough tax to cover the amount the charities will reclaim. 

Q. I am no longer a UK taxpayer. How do I cancel my Gift Aid? 

A.If you no longer pay sufficient tax and wish to cancel your Gift Aid declaration, contact our 

Branch Operations Administrator (Monday, Tuesday & Thursday 8am to 5.10pm

& Wednesday 8am till 12pm) by emailing branchadministrator@rspcahillingdonclinic.org.uk or by post at

RSPCA Hillingdon, Slough, Windsor, Kingston & District Branch, 16 Crescent Parade, HillingdonUB10 0LG. If you would like any more information about Gift Aid, please visit the GOV.UK website.