Hertfordshire East Branch
Share this...

What to do if you Lose or Find an Animal


If your pet is missing, we recommend taking the following steps:-


If your pet is microchipped, contact the microchip company which is generally Petlog 0844 4633 999, Identichip 01904 487 600 or Pet Protect 0800 077 8558. Give them the microchip number and they will advise who they will contact and record your pet as missing;


If your pet is insured.  Contact your insurance company who may be able to help with reimbursing you for any costs of posters or advertisments and may pay out a rewards for recovering your animal;


Call all local vets and leave your details;


Ring your Local Authority Dog Warden (if applicable);


Ring local animal charities such as ourselves by phone, email or Facebook;


Distribute posters in your local area including shop windows asking people to check their sheds, garages, ponds and swimming pools;


Ask your neighbours to check their cars, sheds, garages, ponds and swimming pools;


Place an advert in the local paper;


If you have a river nearby, it may be a good idea to check;


Enter your pet on the National Pet Register www.nationalpetregister.org and Pets Located



Refer to our National Website www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/cats/straycats  for a list of further contacts.


Remember to keep a note of who you have contacted so that you can inform them when your pet is found


If your pet is microchipped, please ensure that the details are always kept up to date, especially if you move house or change your telephone number.


Found Pets

Need to report a found pet?  It is advisable to do the following:-


Ring the National RSPCA Call Centre on 0300 1234 999 if it is injured or sick;


Stray Dogs - if fit and healthy, call your local Council as it is their responsibility;


Contact local vets to see if anyone is missing this pet;


Ring local animal Charities such as ourselves;


Check Facebook, the owner may be advertising their pet missing;


List the animal on the national pet register www.nationalpetregister.org  and Pets Located www.petslocated.com/


Refer to our National Website for a list of further contact on www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals ;


All wildlife, including sick or injured birds, please take it to your local vet who will treat it free of charge;


If the original owners contact you and claim the animal, please remember to tell those that may still be looking.

Share this...