About the branch
We are a separately registered branch of the RSPCA and primarily responsible for raising funds locally to support our animal welfare work. We receive no state or lottery aid and rely on the generosity of the general public, local businesses and the hard work and dedication of our staff and volunteers.
It costs £5000 per week to finance this animal home. All the money we raise is used locally to help animals within the branch area.
Over 600 animals were rehomed from this centre last year.
Advice and leaflets are available from the branch on many aspects of animal care and welfare.
For more in depth details about Burton-on-Trent and District Branch, see our branch website at rspcaburton.org.uk
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was the world's first animal welfare organisation to be established. In 1824 a number of distinguished people met and as a result the society, whose sole purpose was to prevent cruelty and promote kindness to animals, was born. When in 1840 Queen Victoria gave the society its Royal prefix, the RSPCA was well on its way to becoming a British institution.
The Burton-on-Trent & District Branch started its life on July 28th, 1876, in a room at 190 Horninglow Street, the home and surgery of Dr Henry Edward Bridgman. Within a week of this first meeting, the Parent Association gave recognition to the newly formed committee, so the branch was born.
On May 13th, 1938, the Clinic for Animals was opened at 12 Rosemount Road, the home of Inspector L Moon. The clinic was open for one hour every Friday evening until the start of the second world war sixteen months later.
In 1971, Major Langham opened the RSPCA kennels in Green Lane, Tutbury after a short spell operating from kennels in Hoar Cross. Green Lane was operational until our current purpose built kennels and cattery were opened on November 7th, 1989 at Hillfield Lane.
We still run the Animal Home at Stretton, which takes in, cares for and rehomes unwanted, neglected and ill-treated dogs and cats, rabbits, birds and many other domestic and wild animals. We added three compounds and a duck pond in 1994, all labour being provided by volunteers. We nearly always have a waiting list of animals to be taken in from the general public who no longer wish to keep them for many different reasons.
The Burton-on-Trent & District Branch has a local inspector, covering a wide area, including Ashby, Measham, Netherseal, Packington, Swadlincote, Melbourne, Ticknall, Winshill, Uttoxeter, Stapenhill, Tamworth, Lichfield, Rugeley and all the villages in between!
The branch and animal home is administered by an annually appointed committee, who also act as trustees for the branch. The local group of fundraisers work hard all year round raising funds to keep the branch and animal home running smoothly.