Join the fight against litter and Keep Britain Tidy
Last year, 371,556 #LitterHeroes joined forces to collect litter at 13,500 events across the UK during the Great British Spring Clean.
This spring, we're teaming with Keep Britain Tidy and calling on everyone to help improve the environment on their doorstep by taking part in the country's biggest mass participation environmental campaign.
To collect and safely dispose of litter from our streets, parks and beaches, recycling as much as possible.
Not only will helpers be removing litter from our streets, parks and beaches, but also working in partnership with councils to safely dispose of - and recycle - everything collected!
Did you know? Plastic can take up to 500 years to decompose and 75% ends up in a landfill.
Why should you join us to Keep Britain Tidy?
- Litter can seriously harm wildlife. We received 7,704 calls reporting incidents of animals injured as a result of litter in 2017.
- Litter blights our streets, parks and beaches and costs nearly £1 billion a year to clear up.
- Litter attracts litter. Research conducted by Keep Britain Tidy in 2012 showed that people are more likely to litter where litter is present, making the problem a growing issue!
Did you know? By the year 2050, there could be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
Here's how you can get involved
- Register to host or attend a clean-up
- Or, pledge to do your own thing
- Attend your clean-up and separate rubbish for recycling
- Share your pictures on social media at #GBSpringClean @keepbritaintidy
- Ask your host to fill in the evaluation so we know our impact!
Why not join us for one of our RSPCA led litter picks?
We're holding events across the country to fight litter and protect our environment and our wildlife. Why not join the Great British Spring Clean (22nd March-23rd April 2019) and stand together with our team of like-minded individuals and become a litter hero? Contact the relevant centre or branch for more information.
24th March RSPCA York, Harrogate & District Branch
5th April RSPCA Solent Branch
6th April RSPCA Northamptonshire Branch
7th April RSPCA Surrey East Branch
7th April Milton Creek Country Park
14th April RSPCA Guildford and Epsom Branch
18th April Cornwall (in conjunction with Beach Guardian)
There are lots of other litter picks taking place across the campaign - for details of others that may be closer to you please take a look at Great British Spring Clean online.
As well as helping the environment and its wildlife...
Those taking part in the Great British Spring Clean report enhanced mental wellbeing afterwards, and say that they feel more connected to their community.
According to the New Economics Foundation; connecting with nature, being active and mindful, as well as proactively learning and giving, all take care of our mental wellbeing.
All photography courtesy of Chris Packham and Keep Britain Tidy.