Your local RSPCA
York & District Branch
The RSPCA in York is a separately registered charity although we are supported by and work in partnership with the RSPCA National Society. We are primarily self-funding and the money we spend in York is raised in the York and surrounding areas. Income is also generated by our charity shops in York and Selby.
The York Animal Home is licensed to look after 54 dogs, 54 cats (increasing to 72 during kitten season) and 19 rabbits, as well as many small furries and birds. Our small wildlife unit houses hedgehogs and feral birds which are released back to the wild when they have been brought back to health. We are a successful rehoming centre and are proud that we rehome a large number of animals but we are always looking for more homes. The more animals we rehome the more animals we can help.
The RSPCA has been helping animals and their owners in York since 1864. The first "Home for Lost Dogs" opened on St George's Field in 1944. It had very few facilities and was replaced in 1956 by the building on Castle Mills Bridge where the boat office is today. It became the "Home for Stray and Unwanted Animals" when a cattery was added in 1957. Regular flooding and a lack of facilities and staff accommodation meant that it was necessary to fund raise for a new home, and our current premises opened in 1980.