Provision of advice on animal welfare, the 3Rs, ethics and legislation internationally is an increasingly important role for the Society. In recent years, the research animals department has worked closely with RSPCA International to develop and deliver courses relevant to laboratory animal science and welfare - with a particular emphasis on two geographical regions, eastern Europe and east Asia.
Courses and workshops are developed at the invitation of national legislators or laboratory animal science associations, and are funded jointly (at minimum cost) by the organising bodies. They are always tailored to the specific research environment and requirements of the countries concerned though common topics include legislation, ethical review, training for personnel, the 3Rs and animal housing and care. In addition to RSPCA speakers, experts from across academia, industry and government are invited to participate in the delivery of these events. Recent examples of training delivered include:
- Workshop on laboratory animal welfare, ethics and legislation. In conjunction with the University of Belgrade, Serbia (November 2012).
- Chinese Association for Laboratory Animal Sciences annual conference held in Yangzhou, China. Invited plenary presentation and workshop on reducing animal suffering (September 2012).
- Laboratory animal welfare workshops held for scientists and vets in Taiwan in conjunction with the Chinese-Taipei Society of Laboratory Animal Sciences (March 2012).
- 4th Asian Federation for Laboratory Animal Science Congress held in Taiwan. Invited presentation on housing and care, and delivery of mini-symposium on humane care and use of animals (2010).
- Ethics, animal welfare and the 3Rs. Presentations and training workshops delivered in Busan, South Korea and Suzhou, China for representatives from research establishments (2010).
- Workshop on the role of the competent authority in regulating scientific procedures using animals. Two-day event co-organised with the European Commission (TAIEX) and the Croatian State Veterinary Directorate, for representatives of Western Balkans countries (2010).
- Good science and animal welfare in experimental design. Training course delivered in association with the Chinese Association for Laboratory Animal Science - Xi'an, China (2009).
- IACUC Protocol Review workshop. In association with the National Laboratory Animal Centre, Council of Agriculture, Environment and Animal Society of Taiwan - Taipei, Taiwan (2009).
- Legislation, animal welfare and ethics. Workshop for government inspectors, scientists and vets using and caring for laboratory animals in institutions across Croatia (2009).
- 3rd Asian Federation for Laboratory Animal Science Congress held in China. Invited presentations on implementing the 3Rs and on the role and responsibilities of ethics committees (2008).
- The 3Rs concept: The legal framework on the protection of laboratory animals. Workshop co-organised with the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University Ss. Cyril and Methodius - Republic of Macedonia (2008).
In addition, we:
For more information on any of this work, contact: email@example.com