Provision of advice on animal welfare, the 3Rs, ethics and legislation internationally is an increasingly important role for the Society. Our research animals department works closely with RSPCA International to develop and deliver courses relevant to laboratory animal science and welfare - with a particular emphasis on eastern Europe and east Asia.
Training events are developed at the invitation of legislators or laboratory animal science associations and are funded jointly (at minimum cost) by the organising bodies. They are tailored to the specific research environment and requirements of the countries concerned. Common topics include legislation, ethical review, training for personnel, the 3Rs and animal care. In addition to RSPCA speakers, experts from across academia, industry and government are invited to help deliver these events:
- The care of, and refinement of techniques involving, genetically modified animals. In conjunction with the National Laboratory Animal Center, Taiwan (2013).
- Presentations at seminar on The 3Rs - good practice, legal requirements, effective search strategies, resources, and education. Korea National Information Center for the 3Rs (2013).
- Workshop on laboratory animal welfare, ethics and legislation. In conjunction with University of Belgrade, Serbia (2012).
- Chinese Association for Laboratory Animal Sciences annual conference held in Yangzhou. Invited plenary presentation and workshop on reducing animal suffering (2012).
- Laboratory animal welfare workshops for scientists and vets in Taiwan. In conjunction with Chinese-Taipei Society of Laboratory Animal Sciences (2012).
- 4th Asian Federation for Laboratory Animal Science Congress held in Taipei. Invited presentation on housing and care, and delivery of mini-symposium on humane care and use of animals (2010).
- Ethics, animal welfare and the 3Rs. Presentations and training workshops delivered in Busan, South Korea and Suzhou, China (2010).
- Workshop on the role of the competent authority in regulating scientific procedures using animals for representatives of Western Balkans countries. In conjunction with European Commission (TAIEX) and Croatian State Veterinary Directorate (2010).
- Good science and animal welfare in experimental design. In conjunction with Chinese Association for Laboratory Animal Science (2009).
- IACUC Protocol Review workshop. In conjunction with National Laboratory Animal Centre, Council of Agriculture, Environment and Animal Society of Taiwan (2009).
- Legislation, animal welfare and ethics. Workshop for government inspectors, scientists and vets from institutions across Croatia (2009).
- 3rd Asian Federation for Laboratory Animal Science Congress held in Beijing. Invited presentations on implementing the 3Rs and the role and responsibilities of ethics committees (2008).
- The 3Rs concept: The legal framework on the protection of laboratory animals. Workshop organised in conjunction with Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University Ss. Cyril and Methodius - Republic of Macedonia (2008).
In addition, we:
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org