Our detailed RSPCA welfare standards have been developed to represent ‘best practice’ in the care and welfare of dairy cattle at all stages of their lives.
RSPCA welfare standards for dairy cattle (PDF: 1,827KB)
Download the lastest amendments to the RSPCA welfare standards for dairy cattle (PDF: 92KB).
RSPCA cattle standards working group
The members of the working group have been chosen on the basis of the specific expertise they bring to the group in different areas of cattle welfare.
Current members of the group include:
- Mr John Avizienius (lead on cattle welfare, RSPCA)
- Dr Marc Cooper (cattle welfare specialist, RSPCA)
- Dr Brian Pocknee (independent dairy husbandry consultant)
- Mr Richard Davies (independent producer)
- Mr Andy King (independent producer)
- Mr Hamish Anderson (independent dairy consultant)
- Dr David Roberts (Head of SAC Dairy Research Centre, SAC)
- Mr Richard Sibley (veterinary surgeon)
- Mr Alastair Hayton (British Cattle Veterinary Association)
- Mr Tim Brigstocke (independent cattle consultant)
- Dr David Main (animal welfare scientist, University of Bristol)
- Dr Nick Bell (animal welfare scientist and veterinarian, RVC)
- Mr Bob Waller (Freedom Food)
- RSPCA Farm Livestock Officer
- Freedom Food Assessor