Rabbits and their homes come in all shapes and sizes, so there is no one ‘perfect’ way to care for them. However, there are five important needs that be must be met to ensure your rabbit is happy and healthy.
Five welfare needs
Read our expert reviewed pet care information to find out more about the needs of rabbits.
• Environment: Rabbits need a suitable place to live.
• Diet: Rabbits need a healthy diet and fresh water.
• Behaviour: Rabbits should have the opportunity to behave normally.
• Company: Rabbits need appropriate company.
• Health and welfare: Rabbits need to be protected from pain and suffering.
Understanding rabbits' needs
The biology and behaviour of pet rabbits is very similar to that of wild rabbits. This means they have very complex needs and although traditionally thought of as good pets for children, this is not the case as they are not easy to look after well. Being aware of how wild rabbits live can help you understand your pet rabbit’s needs better, so why not check out our Rabbit Factfile to learn more.