Most people are unaware of the danger to pets from antifreeze poisoning.
Ingesting the smallest amount can cause kidney failure and death, especially in cats.
The RSPCA and International Cat Care (formerly Feline Advisory Bureau) want to remind people to take care.
Keep pets safe
Accidental poisonings from spills/leaks, as well as leaking water coolant from cars happen every year, leading to pet death. Regularly check your car to ensure it isn’t leaking water coolant. Take care storing, using and disposing of antifreeze and water coolant. Most accidental deaths are avoidable.
- Always keep antifreeze in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away from pets and their environment.
- Clean up spills immediately, no matter how small. Ensure pets cannot access the area until it’s clean and safe.
- • Always dispose of antifreeze and water coolant safely and responsibly. Contact your local authority for advice; see www.direct.gov.uk and ‘search for your local council in England’ on the home page.
If you suspect antifreeze poisoning
If you suspect your pet’s come into contact with antifreeze, leaked water coolant or if showing any of these symptoms get them to a vet immediately:
- Seeming depressed/sleepy
- Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
- Seizures (fits)
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
Signs of antifreeze poisoning can show 30 minutes after ingestion. It can be two/three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.
The sooner your pet receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival.
If left untreated, antifreeze poisoning can cause pain, suffering and distress and ultimately death.
Recent antifreeze poisonings of cats
The RSPCA and International Cat Care are deeply concerned and saddened about antifreeze poisonings in cats across Britain.
Antifreeze poisoning can cause pain, suffering, distress and ultimately, death. Poisoning cats can constitute a criminal offence; under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 the maximum penalty for anyone found guilty is up to 6 months imprisonment and/or a £20,000 fine.
Rock salt advice
Rock salt (used to grit roads in winter) can be toxic to animals, see: Rock salt poisoning in pets (pdf 101KB).